If you’ve been following along you’ll know how much I love quinoa salads. And the combinations are endless. Since I don’t eat as much protein as I should, it’s the perfect meal to add additional protein to my diet. For those new to quinoa, it’s a grain packed full of protein and a good one to introduce to the kidlets.
In some of my earlier recipes I advise my preference of cooking a big batch of the quinoa in advance and letting it cool overnight in the fridge. It becomes fluffier once it’s had time to rest. Every day for lunch scoop out 1 cup and use it for your salad. This makes for a new salad every day using the ingredients you like and your favourite dressing. You could also scoop out 1/4 cup of the cooked quinoa and put it in your soup or chili.
Using my special ingredient from The Missing Ingredient Food Subscription Package I received last month, I came up with this Moroccan Quinoa Salad based on some of the flavours had recently at one of the Moroccan Restaurants in Calgary, Sultan’s Tent. Roasted chick peas really turns this salad up a notch. Yes I inhaled it.
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup roasted chick peas
- 1/4 cup dates chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots dropped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup dressing
- black or toasted sesame seeds
- Take one cup of your cooked quinoa and place in a bowl. Add roasted chick peas, dates, dried apricots, grated carrot, cilantro and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pouring in dressing and toss lightly. Taste for seasoning and if required add more dressing/salt/pepper to your liking.
- Finish with a sprinkle of black or toasted sesame seeds.
To make dressing whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 lemon (juiced), 1/4 tsp Ras de Hanout spice, 1/4 tsp cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper.