So much of the store granola bars & cereal bars are full of things we can’t pronounce and lots of sugar. We work hard at teaching our kids to make better food choices and not fill up on things like juice, junk food and sugar treats.
My girl and I made these bars the other day and they are sticky/gooey, yummy, not very sweet and pretty healthy for the most part. We love them!
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup peanut butter all natural pb works well
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded bran cereal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup each dried cranberries & raisins
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Line a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick foil or foil sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine honey, peanut butter, brown sugar and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Add cereal, almonds, cranberries & raisins, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds until well mixed. I also sprinkle in some wheat bran for added fibre.
- Press mixture into prepared pan covering with saran wrap. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into bars and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store for up to one week (cool dry location).