This was the second batch of three ice box cookies I was testing in December. The last of the 3 turned out but one or two things didn’t, so the 3rd recipe won’t be featured on the blog. What I learned making Ice Box Cookies is you can put almost anything into them…well almost.
These cookies are both pretty to look at and easy to make. The combination of pistachios, orange and cranberries transcends both sweet and savory items and is always a winner when it comes to baking.
And I love the ice box cookie concept. Get your dough ready, roll and pop into the freezer to be made at a later date. This is something I might consider for a future cookie exchange. Each lady gets a frozen log to take home and a batch of the cookies. Fun!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pistachios shelled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a bowl beat your butter with sugars until creamy. Add eggs, orange extract, orange zest and orange juice. Beat until combined.
- In a second bowl sift together your flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in pistachios and cranberries mixing until combined. The dough should be a little sticky and form into a ball easily. If you find it a little dry, you can add another tsp or so of orange juice.
- Split ball into two halves and roll each half into about a 12 inch log. Wrap in foil and put into freezer or fridge.
- When ready to bake cookies slice log into about 1/4 inch slices. Bake in 375 F oven for about 8 minutes.