I remember my sister in law serving up sausage patties while we were all out camping one summer. They were these perfectly formed sausage shaped coins (twoonie sized for my Canadian readers) purchased from the local Costco as an easy to cook main to accompany breakfast eggs or a dinner salad. I thought they were pretty cool and was left wondering why I didn’t think to bring something so convenient and easy.
These patties have the delicious addition of roasted garlic. If you can roast your garlic the night before or earlier in the day so it’s ready to go. They are an easy dinner served with green apple & jicama slaw, eggs, a light pasta or a salad. If you have time prep the ingredients the night before allowing the pork to infuse the flavours overnight.
A simple and healthy meal you can have on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 entire head roasted garlic removed from shells
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Combine the pork, sage, rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes and roasted garlic.
- If you have time to cover the bowl and let it sit in the fridge, the flavours improve. If not form into 12 equal patties.
- In a cast iron pan over medium high heat, add your oil.Depending on the size of your pan you will need to cook the patties in batches. Do not over crowd the pan. Fry the patties until completely cooked through and golden brown about 3-4 minutes per side. If you are not sure, your internal temperature should read 165F.
- Remove from grill, lightly tent and let sit a few minutes until ready to serve.
- We enjoy these patties with green apple & jicama slaw.