When you need some comfort food, or having a busy evening planned and need a quick meal, you don’t like to cook, or want a special meal for the family, this Slow Cooker Chicken with Dumplings is it. You will be amazed how easy it is to pull together this meal. The dumplings go in and cook for the last 30 minutes.
When you are ready to eat, bring entire slowcooker to the table and serve. Rice, mashed potatoes, even egg noodles pair nicely with this comfort dish.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium onion sliced in chunks
- 3 carrots sliced into chunks
- 2-3 lbs of fryer chicken thighs, thigh/legs attached
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine any that you like-not sweet or extra broth
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup packaged biscuit mix
- 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 6 tbsp milk
- Salt & Pepper
- In a pan heat your oil & butter over medium-high. Season your chicken pieces then place in pan careful not to overcrowd pan. Get your chicken nice and crispy brown on one side, than flip the chicken pieces and do the same on the other side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add your onions, garlic, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, broth, wine to your slow cooker with a little pinch of salt & pepper. Drop in carrots and add your browned chicken pieces on top and cook on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is nice and tender. Fish out your bay leaves and discard. Turn control to HIGH.
- In a small bowl mix together cornstarch and water stirring to combine. Add to chicken mixture. Now put the lid back on crock pot while you make your dumplings.
- In a medium bowl combine biscuit mix with parsley, Parmesan cheese and milk, mixing with a fork until moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto chicken mixture in crock pot. Put cover back on and cook approximately 30 minutes more or until dumplings are cooked in centers (test with fork or toothpick).