We returned from several days of camping, and like most campers we didn’t eat as healthy as we would have preferred to. But it’s camping and we always try to keep a balance. Good with the bad. With that theory we we had marinated grilled pork chops one night and grilled Greek grilled chicken in pitas with a Greek salad another night. It’s that balance thing. The remaining nights, well, junky type food or other not so good for you eats.
After these trips I always crave healthy food. And this time upon returning home I was craving salmon. We ran out of aluminum foil and didn’t have any cedar planks so we needed to improvise. The cast iron pan came out and we were off to the races. Usually when we grill salmon it’s either on a cedar plank or on a piece of foil.
I didn’t use much chile powder in this recipe as I wanted the minions to eat it. You could taste the chile powder but there was just a hint of it. Definitely add more if you want more chile flavour, although it might deter from the taste of the salmon.
We whipped this up rather quickly and were eating in 30 minutes. Served it with this delightful grilled corn & arugula salad, with the addition of radishes from our garden.
Loved this meal and I think you might to.
- 1-2 lbs salmon fillet
- 1/2 of a lime zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Ancho chili powder
- salt & pepper
- cooking spray
- olive oil
- Preheat your grill and your cast iron pan.
- In a bowl mix together lime zest, juice, honey and chili powder. This is your marinade - set aside.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Pour and swirl around 1 tbsp of olive oil into hot cast iron pan.
- Place salmon in pan flesh side down. Sear for 1-2 minutes or until starting to get a nice brown.
- Spray skin with cooking oil. Flip salmon over to skin side down.
- Baste with marinade and do so at least 1-2 more times while salmon is cooking.
- Close lid and cook salmon 6-10 minutes or until skin flakes easily with a fork.
- Remover from pan and serve.