Change up your kids lunches by adding some fun finger food like these Sammy’s On A Stick!
After having looked after little kids including my own for a couple of years, you could say we got really creative with our lunches and snacks!
Lunches have always been fun, interesting and very different then how I grew up. My lunches: typically Bologna sausage on white bread with an apple and orange. Super boring right?
Our Sammy’s On A Stick can use leftover chicken, ham, pork, beef, pepperoni or sausage chunks, or you can use deli meat.
Sometimes I prepare them for the kids and other times I put all the ingredients on the table and let them make their own letting them get completely involved.
Other stick food ideas we’ve tired include:
- Sausage/Pepperoni & Cheese on a stick
- Fruit on a stick (ie fruit salad)
- Veggies (carrot & cucumber) on a stick
- Pre-cooked cheese tortellini on a stick, served with a container marinara dipping sauce
- Muffin chunks or cinnamon bagels/cream cheese with strawberries
- Any kind of bread, cheese buns, croissant, bagel, thicker sliced bread (raisin bread)
- Deli meat or leftover over roast beef, chicken, turkey, ham cut into cubes or folded up
- Hard cheese cut up into cubes, cheese sticks cut up, mini bocconcini balls
- Vegetables: lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber cubes, carrot coins, celery slices, pepper wedges
- Fruit, apple works well
- Pickles or olives, just ensure you keep them away from the bread so you do not end up with soggy bread!
- Pick up packages of wooden skewers from the dollar store and cut them to size – smaller for small hands and lunch boxes. You can also cut the tips off the skewer if you are concerned about the safety factor.
- Try to cut each item similar in size
- If it’s going into a lunch or on a picnic, wrap it with Saran wrap to keep it fresh.
The kids LOVE to eat stick food this way and we love that they eat a good variety of items without hesitation.
If you are looking for other fun lunch ideas check out our 22 School Lunches ideas!