Fresh bocconcini balls, plump blueberries and ripe summer tomatoes come together to create this fresh, sweet Blueberry Caprese Salad.
What is a Caprese Salad
A traditional Italian Insalata Caprese consists of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella or bocconcini and fresh basil. It is named after the island of Capri in Italy. Italian’s love it for it’s simplicity, freshness and colours that represent the Italian flag.
A Twist on a Classic
We’ve opted to add in some fresh blueberries from British Columbia and sprinkle with a pistachios for a little texture and crunch.
Our salad is lightly dressed with simple flavours including extra virgin olive oil and a little sea salt.
What to eat with this Salad
While we could seriously eat it all by itself, this salad will compliment any summer grilling meat or vegetarian dish. It’s a standout at potlucks and pairs nicely with a light, crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
A few things to consider when making this salad:
- Use fresh blueberries, not frozen
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar if you love it, but it’s not needed
- Have a nut allergy, replace pistachios with pepitas
Love blueberries?! Check out a few of our other blueberry recipes:
- Blueberry & Halloumi Quinoa Salad with Charred Corn
- Blueberry Crostini with Thyme & Fresh Ricotta
- Blueberry Lavendar Creme Brulee
Pin this recipe to your Salads Board and be sure to follow me on Pinterest.