Fresh bocconcini, plump summer blueberries and ripe luscious tomatoes mixed with fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt create this unforgettable Blueberry Caprese Salad.
Blueberry Caprese Salad
A traditional Italian Insalata Caprese is made with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella or bocconcini and fresh basil. It is named after the island of Capri in Italy. Italian’s love it for it’s simplicity, freshness and colours that represent the Italian flag.
A Twist on a Classic
In our twist on a classic recipe, we’ve added in some fresh blueberries from British Columbia and topped with pistachios for a little texture and crunch.
Our salad is lightly dressed with simple flavours including extra virgin olive oil and a little sea salt. Keep it simple and let the flavours shine.
What to eat with this Salad
While we could seriously eat it all by itself, this salad will compliment any summer grilling meat or vegetarian dish. It’s a standout at potlucks and pairs nicely with a light, crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
It’s become a show stopper that we have to make whenever blueberries are in season!
Interested in trying this salad? Here’s a few things to consider when making this salad:
- Use fresh blueberries, not frozen
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar if you love it, or drizzle on some balsamic glaze or pomegranate molasses.
- If you can’t eat pistachios try with pepitas
Love blueberries?! Check out a few of our other blueberry recipes:
- Blueberry & Halloumi Quinoa Salad with Charred Corn
- Blueberry Crostini with Thyme & Fresh Ricotta
- Blueberry Lavendar Creme Brulee
Pin this recipe to your Salads Board and be sure to follow me on Pinterest!
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 200 gr mini bocconcini
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Add tomatoes, bocconcini, blueberries and pistachios to your serving dish or bowl. Toss gently to combine. Drizzle on your olive oil and toss.
- Sprinkle on your fresh basil and sea salt. Serve immediately or cover refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving. If refrigerating hold off on adding the pistachios until serving to keep the crunch factor.