Chickpea and Artichoke Salad has protein, tons of flavour and is a quick dinner you can have ready in minutes. Canned artichoke hearts in oil are a great investment using the marinated artichoke oil as the dressing for this salad.
A full Pantry is a happy Pantry
Keep your pantry stocked with a few basics like canned beans, lentils, chickpeas, stock and tomatoes. With just a few pantry items you can pull together a meal in no time. Chickpeas contain vitamins including iron, minerals, fiber, calcium and essential to our bodies, protein. Ensure when you buy your chickpeas they come with only three ingredients or less; chickpeas, water, salt. It’s all the other additives that can cause gas.
With a pantry full of basics, quick meals are never far away. Use chickpeas in stews, chili, roast them with a little spice (my favourite snack) as we did in this Ras el Hanout Roasted Cauliflower with Chick Peas, add to curries, hummus like our Roasted Jalapeno Hummus or dips, soups and salads. Try adding fresh herbs, cooked bacon or pancetta if you eat meat, goat or feta cheese to change this salad up and make it your own.
Since chickpeas are so versatile and one of our favourite pantry items, we are sharing a link to 15 things you can do with canned chickpeas offering more ideas on how to use them to help you get inspired!
This salad keeps in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Works well for lunches or picnics. Even a potluck or Barbecue.
- Make this salad on a Sunday and you have lunches for the week.
- Buy artichokes in oil, they tend to be healthy and very flavourful
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup pepper (any colour), diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 jar artichokes marinated (in oil) artichoke hearts
- 4 Sicilian olives sliced thin
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drain artichokes in a bowl, keeping liquid.
- Cut into quarters. Set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Add artichokes and reserved liquid to bowl.
- Add a good amount of pepper and sprinkle of salt, tossing to combine.
- You can let salad sit in fridge and marinate or you can serve immediately.