Pick up a rotisserie chicken or roast your own, some tortillas and make these Chicken Tostadas for dinner tonight.
Have you ever wondered what exactly a Tostada is? Growing up in a small town, I definitely had no clue until I moved to Vancouver and started going to Mexican restaurants. According to our student, in Spanish it means “toasted” – either a toasted tortilla as the base or something toasted on the Tostada.
Authentic tostadas come with re-fried beans. We do not add the beans but typically a whack of healthy toppings with our chicken. Well I add a whack of healthy toppings. My husband adds more chicken than anything. To each their own.
Tostadas are a delicious way to use up leftover roast chicken, turkey, beef, even pulled pork. Simply add all your favourite taco toppings.
When making Tostadas use either flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Both are equally delicious. I always bake them with a little cumin and salt sprinkled on top or taco seasoning. They come out perfectly crispy so no cooking in oil is needed.
I love this meal because it’s quick, and healthy for an activity evening.
- Start with a minimum of 2 tortillas per person
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken, let it cool and shred
- Prepare your favourite taco toppings in advance
- Serve them family style allowing everyone to make their own Tostada
- Prepare two baking sheets with tin foil in advance to crisp your tortillas