Here’s another great recipe idea for leftover roast chicken – our Chicken Taco Salad!
This remains one of those recipes we have made regularly in our house. We have decided documenting all the recipes we make on the fly will help the kids down the road and myself for when I go senile and can no longer easily remember recipes easily!
Here’s the deal – whether you are buying already roasted rotisserie chicken which I like to do since it’s a time saver, or roasting at home, buy or cook two at a time.
This allows for roast chicken leftovers which are one of my favourites and the perfect canvas for many leftover chicken recipes.
Since we are definitely experts at using up leftover roast chicken, here’s a few tips to remember.
- As soon as chicken is cool enough to handle remove legs, wings and all meat from carcass.
- Save carcass and make stock, freeze for later or break down and compost.
- Separate legs and wings from loose boneless breast meat and refrigerate or freeze in separate packages.
- Legs and wings can be used in soups or taken on picnics.
- Use boneless meat in salads, soups, sandwiches, casseroles, Mexican food and more.
The nice thing about a chicken taco salad is you can add whatever you like. Like red onion, add it. Want pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream or salsa on your taco salad – go for it. Jalapenos? Now your talking.
This is why we serve our chicken taco salad family style. Everyone gets to make their own variation.
I had some leftover corn tacos in the refrigerator so I cut them into thin strips and fried them. These are the fried strips on the salad.
If you do not feel like cutting up corn tortillas and frying them, use broken tortilla chips, Doritos, Fritos, whatever crunchy taco chip floats your boat.
Like this recipe? Check out our other Taco Recipes:
Instant Pot: Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Pasta: Taco Pasta