Here’s another great recipe idea for leftover roast chicken, Chicken Taco Salad!
You know there are recipes that get requested again and again whether it’s the adults in your family or the kids? These recipes are the easy ones, offering loads of flavour and are loved by everyone in the house. Well this is one of them!
Rotisserie or Roast Chicken
In our house we either roast two chickens at the same time, grill them or purchase cooked rotisserie chickens. Buying them is both a time saver and money saver for us and a great tip for those who like to meal plan.
Use leftovers in a variety of recipes and never have the same meal twice!
We’ve made our share of leftover chicken recipes so here’s a few tips to consider:
- As soon as chicken is cool enough to handle remove legs, wings and all meat from carcass.
- Save carcass and make stock, freeze for later or break down and compost.
- Separate legs and wings from loose boneless breast meat and refrigerate or freeze in separate packages.
- Legs and wings can be used in soups or taken on picnics.
- Use boneless meat in salads, soups, sandwiches, casseroles, Mexican food and more.
- We fried corn tortillas for the strips, you can also use Doritos or taco chips.
The nice thing about a chicken taco salad is you can add whatever you like. Spanish onion? Add it. Love pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream or salsa? Go for it. Jalapenos? Now your talking my language.
How to serve Chicken Taco Salad
You are lucky if you don’t have fussy humans in your house! We do so we like to serve our meals family style with plenty of options.
If there is an ingredient you don’t like, but others do, put it out. Don’t cater to fuss pots to ensure everyone gets a variety.
Place each ingredient in it’s own bowl and in the centre of the table so everyone can dig in.
Every taco recipe needs a couple good accessories over and above sour cream don’t ya think?! Here’s two of our favourites to serve on the side!
Other recipes that fit the theme
- Instant Pot: Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Vegetarian: Lentil, Roasted Butternut Squash and Black bean Tacos
- Pasta: Taco Pasta
Going to make this salad? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 3 cups cooked roast chicken chopped into bigger pieces
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cobs corn grilled and shaved
- 1 head green lettuce large and rough chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup cheese, grated mixed cheddar and montery jack
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro rough chopped
- 3/4 cup dressing ranch, lime & avocado, sour cream dressing
- Mix chicken with taco seasoning, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium high heat and add chicken. Saute 5-10 minutes., mixing occasionally. Remove from heat and put into serving bowl.
- Add all ingredients into individual bowls and set on table with spoons.
- Put out dressing, plates, forks and let everyone create their own chicken taco salad.