We’ve combined the flavours of Thailand and created this tasty Thai Inspired Quinoa Salad.
Once upon a time, or some week in 2013 I decided to make 5 new quinoa salad lunches. A regular here in our house that’s always in rotation, I wanted to challenge myself and really think about what I love about quinoa and turn it into a tasty salad.
Grains have been a part of my diet for the past 20 years and since having kids I cook with them even more as an alternative to meat.
A confessed Thai food lover, this salad is a Thai Inspired Quinoa Salad using whatever “Thai” ingredients I could find in my fridge. The flavours in this salad are bold and it turned out delicious.
Cook your quinoa according to package directions or remember 2 cups liquid to 1 cup quinoa in a pot and bring to a boil. This amount will yield you 5-6 cups of fluffy quinoa.
When it comes to quinoa preparation some say to wash your quinoa, others do not. I’ve done both and have noticed a difference in taste so I opt not to wash my quinoa to save time.
I buy the organic, gluten free Quinoa from Costco so important to note this recipe is gluten free.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced into strips or chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro (or parsley), chopped (save a pinch for dressing)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped (save a pinch for dressing)
- Toasted sesame seeds/slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup Dressing (below)
- Take one cup of your cooked quinoa and place in a bowl. Add green onions, carrots, cucumber, cilantro and mint. Pouring in dressing and toss lightly. Taste for seasoning and if required add more dressing/salt/pepper to your liking.
- To serve sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and/or slivered almonds.