This easy Toasted Sesame Cream Cheese Spread is the perfect light touch to your next tailgating get together, potluck or holiday gathering.
Toasted Sesame Cream Cheese Spread
This recipe has been in the vault for a long time. It’s another gem I learned about while living in Vancouver. My apartment was on South Granville and I got along fairly good with my landlord and his wife. The wife hosted gatherings and during one I attended, she brought out a variation of this appetizer. I may or may not have ate most of it.
A little prep required
I like to marinate the cream cheese the night before I plan on serving it. This allows the flavours to marry and the soy sauce to penetrate the surface of the cream cheese creating a lovely brown hue full of flavour.
Here is the marinated block of cream cheese after being carefully rolled in the cooled, toasted sesame seeds.
Best times to serve this spread
While I would never judge if you wanted to whip up a batch and enjoy it alone, here are a few suggestions it has proven to work well at.
- Hosted gatherings. Whenever you are having the ladies over for some sort of party, like a spa party. Or the men. No judging.
- Dinner parties. This appetizer almost feels healthy and is the perfect light bite to start any meal.
- Tailgating. It’s savoury and full of flavour making it an excellent choice for a game day gathering.
- Office or evening potlucks. I’ve taken it to the office to full accolades from the team.
You’ve decided you want to make it, here are few tips and tricks to get you started.
- Use a skewer, not a toothpick to poke holes in the cream cheese for the soy sauce to penetrate.
- Use your favourite brand of soy sauce.
- Save the soy sauce and container. If there is any leftover, it can go back into the container for snacking later on.
- When toasting sesame seeds watch them. Those little seeds will burn fast if left unattended.
Other drool worthy appetizers:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans
- 1 250 g block cream cheese
- 1/2 cup soy sauce your favourite brand
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- rice crackers or thinly sliced baguette
- Pour enough sesame seeds into frying pan to cover bottom and turn to medium. Stay next to fry pan, watching sesame seeds...flipping regularly so they don't burn toasting until lightly browned. Pour on to plate and cool. Store in a sealed container or plastic bag until ready to use.
- Take cream cheese out of fridge. Using a skewer poke a few holes on all sides of cream cheese. Put into plastic container (with lid) and pour soy sauce on top. Turn cream cheese so that every side is covered in soya sauce. Put into fridge and turn occassionally.
- When ready to serve, pour sesame seeds onto plate. Take cream cheese out of container and roll all sides in sesame seeds, covering completely. Put on plate, surround with rice crackers or baguette slices and serve.