Last year I hosted one of many mom/daughter playdates. The mom brought Carrot Cupcakes. Without a doubt these were the best carrot cupcakes I had ever tasted. So I asked for and received the recipe. Finally I am making these delectable cupcakes (but with some changes)!
I do not do well with vegetable oils in muffins, and baking. I can taste it in the food, and sometimes it just doesn’t agree with me. I started using canola oil & apple sauce to replace veggie oil, and everything tastes better.
These cupcakes are so moist, and flavourful you will be surprised to learn they are made using store bought pureed baby carrot food. I’ve never bought carrot baby food, and so this was a first. I can’t say exactly what it is that makes this cupcake taste so darn good, but if it’s the baby food then I’m sold. These cupcakes are not too sweet, and melt in your mouth. In fact I have to hide them from my husband as he loves them.
Cupcakes are frosted with a Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2¾ cups white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 container snack size motts plain apple sauce (111gr)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 cups grated carrot
- 2 jars (4.5oz each) carrot puree baby food
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Get your muffin tins ready by spraying with pam or inserting liners.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. In separate bowl whisk your eggs, oil, apple sauce and vanilla. Add wet to dry ingredients beating well for about 1 minute. Add in your grated carrots, carrot puree and coconut mixing until just combined. If you find the batter dry add another dollop of apple sauce or tbsp of oil.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins (only fill about ¾ full) and bake in oven until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Take pans out of oven and let cupcakes cool in pans 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Mini muffins took about 15 minutes. Regular size muffins took approximately 23 minutes.
- You are now ready to ice your cupcakes. We made both normal & mini cupcakes for a total of 21 normal size cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes. My mini chefs had a great time icing them! You can also make this recipe into a cake using 2 x 8 or 9 inch cake pans and baking 45-50 minutes.