These Carrot Cupcakes are moist, light tasting, loaded with fresh carrots, and topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting. They are sure to become your family’s new favourite!
I have to admit the carrot cupcakes made in the 90’s didn’t compare to this variation. In these tasty bites you’ll find the addition of apple sauce and pureed carrot that really does take them to a new level rendering them incredibly most and oh so yummy.
Carrot Cupcake Ingredients
- Flour: All-purpose white is my flour of choice for these cupcakes.
- Sugar: We prefer white sugar as there are no added flavours like in brown sugar.
- Baking Soda: Your leavening agent!
- Spices: I add cinnamon to almost everything for it’s flavour and antioxidant properties.
- Oil: any mild flavoured oil will work in this recipe. I added canola but you could certainly use vegetable, avocado, olive oil.
- Wet Ingredients: eggs, vanilla.
- Secret Ingredients: pureed carrots – baby food, apple sauce.
- Coconut: We love coconut in these muffins.
- Salt: Sea salt or kosher salt.
- Carrots: Freshly grate carrots using a box grater or food processor.
- Add-ins: Toasted nuts, dried fruit, raisins
It has to be a cream cheese frosting, there is no other way to frost carrot cupcakes!
Our Cream Cheese Frosting is not overly sweet, yet simple, rich and hard to resist.
Cupcakes made using butter or cream cheese should be stored in a cool place like your refrigerator. About an hour before serving remove them from the refrigerator so they can warm to room temperature.
We make these cupcakes throughout the year as they are a family favourite. For birthdays, Easter, sometimes even Thanksgiving!
I should add my tweens and teenagers make these cupcakes so if they can do it, so can you!
Looking for dessert recipe inspiration? Here’s a few to bookmark.
- White Chocolate Lavender Brownies
- Dulce de Leche Bread Pudding
- Raspberry Creme Brulee
- Chocolate Cupcakes
Did you make this recipe?! Tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #Bakersbeans
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 container snack size motts plain apple sauce 111gr
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 cups grated carrot
- 2 jars 4.5oz each carrot puree baby food
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Get your muffin tins ready by spraying with pam or inserting liners.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. In separate bowl whisk your eggs, oil, apple sauce and vanilla. Add wet to dry ingredients beating well for about 1 minute. Add in your grated carrots, carrot puree and coconut mixing until just combined. If you find the batter dry add another dollop of apple sauce or tbsp of oil.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins (only fill about 3/4 full) and bake in oven until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Take pans out of oven and let cupcakes cool in pans 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Mini muffins took about 15 minutes. Regular size muffins took approximately 23 minutes.
- You are now ready to ice your cupcakes. We made both normal & mini cupcakes for a total of 21 normal size cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes. My mini chefs had a great time icing them! You can also make this recipe into a cake using 2 x 8 or 9 inch cake pans and baking 45-50 minutes.