This quick and easy recipe will leave you wondering why you haven’t made it before. Over the years I’ve changed up the recipe to suit our family. Sometimes it’s individual servings, others in a baking pan for self serve. I recall back in 2003 a fellow work mate telling me she tried this recipe and it was a hit especially with her husband. She loves being able to individually freeze these burritos for her husband to grab, reheat and go when he’s hungry.
Adding sauteed veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms) both inside and sprinkled on the top delivers delicious flavour. Extra cheese is also a must, because cheese.
Go ahead an substitute ground turkey, chicken or pork for the beef and add in some canned beans or fresh cilantro. These Burritos are quite filling and pair nicely with a crisp green salad.
- 2 lbs ground beef lean or turkey, chicken
- 1/2 of a taco seasoning package
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 lbs monterey jack cheese grated
- 2 bottles medium taco sauce or enchilada sauce
- 20 flour tortilla shells small to medium size
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large frying pan, brown ground beef and onions. Add taco seasoning, pepper, oregano, paprika, parsley and sour cream. Add 1/2 the cheese and 1 bottle of taco sauce mixing well. Place 2 tbsp or more beef mixture on each tortilla shell and roll up. Place seam side down in 9x13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and the second bottle of taco sauce. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and is heated through.
- To make individual burritos wrap each burrito in plastic and freeze. Warm in microwave.
- Serve with salsa, cilantro, grated cheese, hot peppers, your favourite toppings.