Chimichurri Sauce is a fresh and flavourful, uncooked green condiment perfect served alongside dishes like grilled meat and vegetables.
Our first time hearing about this condiment was through friends who had traveled through Argentina and Peru in South America. Since my husband loves garlic we tried and it and like it so much, we’ve tried it a few different ways, slightly changing up our chimichurri sauce every time we make it.
We’ve made variations along the way and this was one of them: Grilled Steak with Chimichurri Sauce.
What is Chimichurri Sauce
Chimi sauce, as it’s known in Argentina, is a mashup of garlic, tangy red wine vinegar, spicy if you like, green condiment that is simply delicious on grilled meats. It can also be used to marinade meat before cooking or added to ingredients for a flavour burst.
It pairs nicely with cooked fish, grilled vegetables and skewered baby potatoes. We also enjoy it crostini or grilled baguette.
Like many cuisines chimichurri sauce can vary by family and region although they all seem to have have the basic traditional ingredients in the sauce: parsley, oregano, oil, vinegar and garlic. Other ingredients include citrus, other herbs and a spicy element.
In this version I have opted for less garlic and finished the sauce with red pepper flakes and pink peppercorns.
Want to give chimichurri sauce a try?! Here’s a few tips to help get you started.
- Use red wine vinegar in this recipe. Other vinegars will not offer the same tang.
- Chili flakes are optional. Don’t like spicy, leave them out.
- Love garlic, add more.
- Add more salt if your palate says so.
- Hand chop your parsley. It’s therapeutic and turns out better.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp pink peppercorns
- Mix together olive oil through pepper. Let sit for up to 15 minutes giving ingredients time to blend. Make in advance if you have time and store in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve sprinkle with red chili flakes and pink peppercorns.