Bits and Bites are one of those classic and tasty snacks many of us remember munching on as kids. My family did not make them when we were littles, however I do recall grabbing handfuls while visiting with friends all throughout my youth and thinking they were the best snacks ever!
In my twenties I bought the boxed bits and bites as I’ve never been much of a cereal eater and didn’t want boxes of extra cereal hanging around only to go stale. As a single twenty something things can go stale quite quickly I learned. The hard way.
Fast forward to adulting and kids, I started making my own bits and bites to cut back on the salt. And list of other ingredients I couldn’t pronounce. This classic bits and bites recipe is fairly simple however we have added fennel seeds into the mix as we love the taste of fennel seed and thought it would be a nice touch. Additionally there are no nuts in this recipe. Having nut free snacks allows us to send them in school lunches without worrying about kids who have nut allergies.
Our family likes bugles so I tossed some of those in and went with loopy pretzels vs straight ones. Seriously almost anything goes when you make bits and bites!
What’s your favourite piece to munch on in bits and bites?!
- 2 cups cheerios or any o's cereal
- 2 cups shreddies
- 3 cups pretzels
- 2 cups bugles
- 2 cups mini crackers
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together cheerios through min crackers.
- In a microwaveable jar melt butter. Mix in Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce, fennel seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and seasoning salt.
- Pour the snack mixture into a large parchment paper lined baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Gently stir mixture roughly every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven at about an hour. I tend to let mine go an extra 5-10 minutes as needed.
- Store in a plastic bag with a closure.