Every month or two a group of moms get together and have a Mom’s Who Need Wine Evening. We do our best to gather monthly, rotating houses, as our schedules allow. The core group have been friends since all our kids were in kindergarten (they are entering grade 7 Fall 2017). New friends and family have joined in from time to time, and each time we try to change it up with either a wine or food theme.
Our wine theme for this evenings gathering was California, so I went with a healthy, bite sized feta & lentil salad. I’ve been to California many times, as my late Uncle used to live in San Diego, and it holds a special place in my heart. I also prepared Pico De Gallo & Guacamole to represent all the incredible Mexican food I’ve tasted in Southern California and Tijuana.
All the ladies loved this Feta & Lentil Salad, so here it is. It’s from Canadian Living, but I made a few tweaks and served it in shot glasses, which were super cute! The next time I made it I added in fresh arugula, it was so good I added it into the recipe.
- 1/4 cup slivered toasted almonds
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 slice of lemon
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- good pinch salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add whole garlic cloves, lemon slice, bay leaves and lentils. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Remove garlic, lemon, bay leaves, and continue to allow lentils to drain in colander. Let cool completely.
- Toast your almonds in a pan over medium heat watching and stirring often until they start to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a serving bowl combine cooled lentils, feta, cucumber, onion, parsley, arugula, tomatoes and dressing, stirring to combine. When ready to serve sprinkle with toasted almonds.