Pico de Gallo is a fresh salsa we love to enjoy with chips or add as toppings to baked potatoes, grilled meats, tacos and of course eat with chips!
Fresh Salsa Cooking Lesson
Visiting Cancun on a solo trip when I turned 30, was where I learned to make Pico de Gallo also known as fresh salsa aka salsa fresca. It’s a combination of flavour with the perfect tang from the lime juice and the salt helps the tomatoes release some of their flavourful juices as it sits resulting in an incredibly tasty salsa.
I admittedly may even add the juice of two limes if I have them on hand.
How to make Pico de Gallo
As per the locals, a basic Pico de Gallo is made using tomatoes, white onion, some sort of chili pepper, fresh cilantro, lime and salt. Make this 5 ingredient salsa using the best ingredients you can find. Omit cilantro if you are not a fan and always use sea salt.
When to make Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo is our go to summer salsa as it’s easy, it’s good with many types of dishes – like grilled fish, and local sun ripened tomatoes off the vine bring this salsa to a whole new level. I’ve even been known to put it on top of my brown rice for a delicious spin on rice.
We sure do make this salsa in the winter they can be long and drawn out and we can’t wait until summer. My daughter adores this salsa and also our Guacamole. Lucky me she’s the one who makes both these snacks for us as long as I have the ingredients on hand.
It really is that easy to make!
- If using regular tomatoes, try to pull some of the seeds and pulp out
- Roma tomatoes have less seeds but use two extras if you are using Romas
- Roll your limes before you juice them
- Keep the seeds in the jalapenos if you like it spicy
- White onion is best for this salsa
Other Recipes you might be interested in
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- 1 white onion diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced with seeds removed
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Mix tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper and cilantro in a serving bowl. Pour lime juice over mixture and add salt to taste.