Pico de Gallo, also known as salsa fresca and salsa cruda, is a fresh salsa made using raw ingredients. It’s the perfect afternoon snack paired with chips, or as toppings on baked potatoes, grilled meats, roast cabbage, tacos, chili and more.
Fresh Salsa Cooking Lesson
I visited Cancun on a solo trip when I turned 30 and learned to make Pico de Gallo and guacamole. This fresh salsa offers a combination of flavours with the perfect tang from lime juice. The salt helps the tomatoes release some of their flavourful juices as it sits resulting in an incredibly tasty salsa.
How to make Pico de Gallo
As per the locals I chatted with in the restaurants, a basic pico de gallo is made using tomatoes, white onion, some sort of chili pepper, fresh cilantro, lime and salt.
Make this 5 ingredient salsa using the best ingredients you can find and omit cilantro if you are not a fan of this herb.
When to make Pico de Gallo
Depending on where you live in the world, you can make this salsa any time of the year.
For us, it’s our go to summer salsa since tomatoes are in season, flavourful and juicy. Plus it tastes darn good on a hot patio with a gold beer or glass of pinot grigio!
This salsa pairs nicely with all kinds of dishes like fish, grilled vegetables or roasted cabbage and I’ve even been known to put it on top of my brown rice and potatoes for a delicious spin on a simple meal.
Ready to get started making your own fresh salsa?! Here’s a few tips to consider. And of course if you like more spice, add more of the spicy elements!
- If using regular tomatoes, try to scrape some of the seeds and pulp out
- Roma tomatoes have less seeds but use extra if you are using these tomatoes to make your pico
- Roll your limes before you juice them, it loosens up the juices
- Keep the seeds in the jalapenos if you like it spicy
- White onion is best for this salsa
- Keep tomatoes in a bowl on your counter, not in your refrigerator as this can change the texture and taste
Other Recipes you might be interested in:
- Pork Souvlaki with Cucumber Pineapple Salsa
- Thai Beef in Toast Cups with Mango Salsa
Tomatillo & Black Bean Salsa
Grilled Peach, Strawberry & Watermelon Salsa
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- 1 white onion diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced with seeds removed
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Mix tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper and cilantro in a serving bowl. Pour lime juice over mixture and add salt to taste.