Slow Cooker Five Spice Chicken is so full of flavour you will be adding it to your regular dinner routine after the very first bite!
Slow Cookers or Crockpots are one of the best small appliances out there for getting dinner ready while you are working or otherwise busy.
Flavour in the Brown
Heard the term Flavour in the Brown before? So much truth here. Searing your meat builds flavour and texture by caramelizing the meat. We always brown our chicken when making this recipe for added flavour.
As Simple As 1, 2, 3
A few ingredients make this a really tasty dish. Have all your ingredients ready to go so all you have to do is brown the chicken, add the chicken to your slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients and turn it on to low and slow.
We top this Slow Cooker Five Spice chicken with fresh parsley, some sliced green scallions or a little chopped bok choy mixed with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bok Choy is a bitter Chinese green we’ve been cooking with for 30 years. Interested in learning more about Bok Choy check out Five Ways to Eat Bok Choy.
Serve with rice or egg noodles. If there are leftovers remove the chicken meat from the bones and use the next day to make soup, quesadillas, chicken salad or a sandwich. This meal then becomes one meal, eat twice.
One of my favourite salads to eat is a raw bok choy salad introduced to me back in the 90’s. Today my family loves this salad as much as I do and it’s one everyone should try if you venture into bitter greens.
Here’s a few more recipes to get you started on bok choy and slow cooker cooking.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 lbs chicken pieces we had 5 bone in thighs & 5 drumsticks
- 2 tsp 5 spice powder + more
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 3 green onions chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped with leaves
- 1 can 398 ml whole young corn, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- Pour oil into a pan and turn to medium high. Season chicken pieces on both sides with salt, pepper and 5 spice powder. Brown chicken on both sides and remove to slowcooker.
- Toss chopped celery and green onion into slowcooker on top of chicken.
- In a bowl whisk together chicken stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, 1 tsp 5 spice powder and oyster sauce. Pour over slowcooker ingredients.
- Turn on low and let cook 6-8 hours, or high for 3-5 hours.
- The last hour of cooking add your whole young corn and nestle it in around the chicken pieces.
- Remove chicken pieces from broth and serve broth, fresh parsley & scallions or bok choy salad on the top.