Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Stew is flavourful, comforting and hearty, reminding me of a stew from my earlier years. Served with a crusty baguette or piece of bread, it’s a a family tradition during the cold winter months!
Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Stew
Stew typically consist of beef or a protein, potatoes, carrots, perhaps some other vegetables, cooked low and slow in broth or liquid and a few seasonings, resulting in a comforting rib sticking bowl of deliciousness.
Spinning off a recipe my mom would make in the 1970’s, I’ve created a beef stew with barley offering a healthy variation rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre. Serve with bread, pita chips and a sprinkle of green parsley to liven it up.
Store bought or home made beef broth is what we use. Although sometimes we use leftover beef broth from our Teriyaki Beef Fondue providing a massively huge kick of flavour to this stew.
If you want to amp up the flavour of your broth you can infuse the broth with fresh ginger and garlic, plus any fresh herbs you have. Total game changer.
Slow cookers offer a prepare and dump it meal that slow cooks all day making it ready when you come home from work and want to chow down.
Here’s a few more comfort food recipes to try!
- Beef Stew with Bacon
- Slowcooker Beef Chili
- Slowcooker Carbonnade Flamande
- Simple Roast Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sloppy Joes
- Slowcooker Beer Pulled Pork
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 1-2 lbs stew beef 1/2-1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3-4 med sized carrots chopped
- 3/4-1 cup barley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- salt & pepper
- In a skillet over medium high heat add oil and sear your beef in small batches until brown on outside. Remove from pan and place in slowcooker. Continue until all beef is browned.
- Turn heat down and pour a little more oil in pan, adding onions, carrots and celery. Stir and let cook for about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for about a minute. Pour in a little of your beef broth to help scrape up all the brown bits in the pan. Carefully pour contents of pan into slowcooker with beef.
- Add remaining beef broth, bay leaves, soy sauce, ginger and a pinch of salt & pepper. Give a stir and pour in your barley.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.