Simple appetizers are sometimes the best appetizers especially when you are short on time! Our Mini Cheese Balls are quick, easy and incredibly delicious!
History of the Cheese Ball
According to legend,” writes Michelle Buffardi, author of Great Balls of Cheese, “the first cheese ball in recorded history was made in 1801 by Elisha Brown, Jr. on his farm and presented to President Thomas Jefferson” at the White House.
If you are interested in learning more, writer, Jennifer Russel delves more into the history of the cheese ball in her piece titled: “Respect the cheese ball: It’s the perfect party food”. There is even a book about cheese balls called “Great Balls of Cheese” featuring all kinds of great information and recipes for those wanting to learn more.
In the 90’s our office group hosted regular lunch time potlucks. A co-worker would make mini cheese balls rolled in chili powder and I gushed over them every time she’d bring them.
They were so good I’ve recreated the recipe many times rolling them in everything from cumin, taco powder, za’atar, fresh parsley with fresh dill and of course chili powder.
Smoked paprika and garam masala or curry might be on my list next.
Since we’ve sampled or made them several times over the years, here are a few tips and tricks on making sure they come out perfect for your next gathering.
- Make them tiny bites. Roughly 1 tsp sized so you can pop them in your mouth and eat several without feeling guilty.
- Try a variety of fresh herbs.
- Once rolled refrigerate. One hour before serving remove from fridge to bring to room temperature.
- Use your favourite spice blend (even BBQ and/or for meats or fish), or create your own.
More easy appetizers:
What’s your favourite quick appetizer to serve when you are short on time?!
- 12 oz softened cream cheese 1 & 1/2 blocks
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup gouda cheese grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 scallion chopped fine
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped fine
- Spice Ideas 1-2 tbsp: taco seasoning, chili powder, fresh chopped parsley, za'atar spice
- Mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, gouda cheese, garlic, scallion and rosemary. Pour your spices on a plate.
- You can make these whatever size you want but I keep them mini.
- Scoop up about 1 tsp or less of the cheese mixture and roll into a ball. Continue until all the cream cheese mixture has been used.
- Roll ball in your chili powder ensuring completely covered.
- Serve immediately or keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.