I’ve been absent the last little while as I’ve been dealing with some work stuff and have had to make some big decisions. I am coming out of the fog now and beginning to get inspired again!
Always been a fan of a spicy noodle salad. This Asian Noodle Salad with Spicy Nuts is inspired by all those potluck noodle salads that left me wanting more. I was usually the one sneaking back to the potluck table unnoticed (or so I thought) to get seconds and sometimes thirds of the noodle salad.
With unlimited variations of noodle salads out there, this is one that works for me. The family still hasn’t learned to love it as much as I do but I say give it time. To vary the salad change up the veggies and even try different noodles. Since we love cilantro here (well 2/4 Bakers) I tend to use more then the 2 tbsp listed below.
This salad pairs nicely with any grilled meat, especially kabobs. It’s a lovely side at a potluck, or picnic and keeps nicely in the fridge as leftovers.
- 1 carrot peeled and shaved or sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup snow peas strings removed and sliced thin
- 1 green onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup radishes sliced thin or into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp cilantro rough chop
- 1/2 500 gm pkg of Vermicelli Pasta Noodles
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup spicy peanuts find recipe in notes
- 1/2 orange zest or 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup marinade in notes below
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling and drop your noodles. Cook 3-4 minutes, drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Shake off any extra water and place in a bowl.
- Add in carrots, snow peas, green onion, radishes and cilantro reserving a small amount of each for a garnish. Stir to combine.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the marinade, the hot pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and taste for seasoning. Add more marinade if needed. Stir to allow all noodles to soak up some of the marinade.
- When ready to serve top with orange zest, a scoop of the spicy nuts and the reserved carrots, snow peas, green onions, radishes and cilantro.
- Place the extra spicy nuts and marinade on the table in case anyone wants more.
Spicy Nuts: Mix together 1 cup peanuts or cashews, 1 tsp oil, 1/4 tsp paprika (smoked is good), sprinkle of cayenne pepper, sprinkle of chipotle chili powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt. Pour on baking sheet and roast in 350F oven for 10-12 minutes. Set aside until ready to use. Keep in sealed container.