The world of fondue is a fun one. With so many varieties of fondue to create, you would seriously never get bored. This Cheese & Bacon Fondue is one of our favourites.
This is one of our favourite cheese fondues and it’s not your traditional Swiss style fondue. This one is loaded with old cheddar cheese and bacon. It’s extra fun because it’s always a battle at the end to fish out the last pieces of bacon. Forks are a flyin. Fighting over bacon in your cheese fondue, what a concept. Seriously though, we’ve never had an injury during Battle Bacon, and you just can’t go wrong with cheese and bacon. Another favourite of ours has beer in in.
When we fondue we like to have two or more fondues on the table. Cheese fondue and a meat in broth fondue. The kids are not so big on the cheese fondues yet, but love the broth ones and are always dipping their veggies in the broth as well. Which means it’s up to husband and I to ensure the cheese fondues do not go to waste. Tough job.
Don’t be deterred by the sour cream in this one and don’t try to cut calories by using low fat sour cream. Husband is not a sour cream fan and does not even notice there is sour cream in this fondue because #Bacon!
We love to fondue and while we only get at it a couple times a year, it’s highly anticipated around here!
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- ½ cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of salt & pepper
- pinch of fresh nutmeg
- In a large pot, over low heat, warm sour cream.
- Add cheese by handfuls, alternating between cheeses and stirring after each addition until all cheese is melted.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and a pinch of salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. Stir until combined.
- Transferred to pre warmed fondue pot and sprinkle bacon on top.