The world of fondue is a fun one. With so many varieties of fondue to partake in, you could eat Fondue every night and never get bored. This Old Cheddar Cheese & Bacon Fondue is one of our favourites and contains an ingredient that surprises most people!
A favourite in this house, this fondue is loaded with old cheddar cheese and bacon. It’s extra fun because it’s always a battle at the end to fish out the last pieces of bacon and fortunately there have never been any causalities during battle bacon, yet. Other favourite cheese fondues of ours? One with beer and of course the Classic Swiss Fondue.
The surprise ingredient I referenced earlier, it’s sour cream. You will be surprised when you taste this fondue, you will not even know there is sour cream in it. Sour cream adds a hint of tart to the fondue and replaces the need for any additional acid. Plus it’s a natural thickener.
When we fondue we like to have two or more fondues on the table. A cheese fondue variation and a meat in broth fondue. The kids are slowly coming round to cheese fondue, have always loved the broth ones and request Chocolate Fondue regularly. It’s actually a fun way to wind up or down a birthday party gathering.
Since we enjoy fondueing, we try new variations all the time. Some make the cut, some not so much, however it’s definitely a fun evening to have with family or friends!
If you try our Old Cheddar Cheese & Bacon Fondue let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4½ (300 gr) cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of salt & pepper
- ½ tsp of fresh nutmeg
- In a large pot, over low heat, warm sour cream.
- Add cheese by handfuls, alternating between cheeses and stirring after each addition until all cheese is melted.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and a pinch of salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. Stir until combined.
- Transferred to pre warmed fondue pot and sprinkle bacon on top.