If you’ve been following along, then you know I am on a pepper and onion kick. Sauteed and put into everything. Mmmm good. Add in some jalapeno peppers and I’m a happy clam.
Rummaging through my pantry in an attempt to do some Spring cleaning and channel Spring to hurry up, I found a bag of whole green lentils that probably needed using. In addition I caught wind recently of a lentil contest. Two good reasons to get cooking some lentils.
Canadian Lentils is putting on this contest and challenging Lentil lovers to create a new and exciting dish. You can check out some of the other contest entries on their Facebook Page. I think this will be my freestyle entry since I have several more up my sleeve.
Also needing to be used up were some flax seed flour tortillas. So I pulled some inspiration from these Chicken & Bacon Taquito’s we love so much. Now in hindsight I used a flax seed tortilla and I probably wouldn’t do that again. Stick to the whole wheat version which is what worked well with the Chicken Taquito’s.
This recipe is pretty simple to make and packs a little heat due to the jalapenos. If you prefer less or no heat, leave them out. Cook dry lentils or use canned, whatever works.
I made up a Tomatillo & Black Bean Salsa to serve with these taquitos. You can to, or use your favourite salsa. Grab some guacamole, hot sauce or sour cream and Bob’s Your Uncle.
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno seed and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup Monterey jack cheese grated
- 1/2 cup cooked whole green lentils
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- canola or vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
- flour tortilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 9×11 or 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat add a drizzle of oil. Toss in onion and peppers. Let cook about 5 minutes. Add garlic, zucchini, chili powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn heat down if needed. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and taste for seasoning. Add more salt if required. Cook until lentils have had a few minutes to soak up some of the flavours in the pan.
- Add your lemon juice and remove pan from heat. Stir in ½ cup of cheese.
- Warm tortillas in microwave 5-10 seconds.
- Take approx. ⅓ cup of your vegetable mixture (or a little more if necessary) and place in middle of tortilla. Roll tightly and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until filling is gone. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Yields about 4-5.