One of our favourite ways to use leftover pulled pork or roast pork is to crisp up the pork and make these tasty and flavourful Pork Carnitas!
Love blossomed early
Being a small town girl, many wonder how I learned to love authentic Mexican food. This started at an early age for me since I had an uncle living in San Diego.
We would visit him occasionally, from our small town in Northern British Columbia, and he always took us to Tijuana for tacos. It wasn’t unusual to see the back of a pick up truck piled high with raw meat while driving down one of the streets in Tijuana.
It was in Tijuana I experienced my first real authentic taco.
Spending time at the Caliente Racetrack in Tijuana was one of my Uncle’s favourite past times. He and his wife did not have kids therefore his knowledge of good cheap eats in Tijuana was solid.
My memories of time spent there on day trips makes me think of a trip to Cuba in 2003. Similar somehow yet different.
Even though it’s been a very long time, Tijuana still fascinates me since it’s a strong part of my early memories and it probably always will. Learn more about how Tijuana has evolved in this story by the LA Times here.
Cook Once, Eat Three times
One of our goals here at Bakersbeans this year is to do more meals that are “cook once and stretch it into two, three even four meals”.
I’ve never been one to love leftovers, unless it’s cheese, so being able to turn a roast or something big into fresh new meals daily is something I love to dabble in. I’ve been meal planning since the kids were babes so this part is not challenging, making something new and exciting each time with leftovers is where my creativity needs to bloom!
What are Carnitas?
For those reading this and really not sure what Pork Carnita’s are, well simply put they are pork tacos.
This dish from Mexico consists of braised or simmered pork until tender. Authentic tacos are always made with braised or slow cooked meat.
An easy slow cooked pork recipe to make is our Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork. Use leftovers to make this delicious Pork Carnita’s and serve with your favourite toppings.
Inspired to go beyond the hamburger tacos many of us have grown up with? Check out these recipes for taco inspiration!
- Taco Pasta
- Salmon Tacos
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Lentil, Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tacos
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 2 cups cooked pulled pork warm
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup radishes sliced thin
- 1/2 cup white onions diced small
- 2 jalapeno peppers thinly sliced
- 2 limes cut in wedges
- 1/2 cup cilantro rough chop
- sour cream
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to Broil.
- On baking pan lined with parchment paper lay out your pulled pork. Drizzle on some olive oil and broil pork in oven for 5- 10 minutes. Stir after a few minutes and keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Warm your tortillas and start building your tacos.
- Add some pulled pork, radishes, white onions, jalapeno slices, cilantro, sour cream and salsa. Squeeze a wedge of lime on top and serve immediately.