Easy to make Taco Pasta is made with ground beef, pasta, fresh grated cheese, all tossed together to create a tasty variation for taco night!
Whether you enjoy tacos in a crunchy shell, soft shell or authentic Mexican tacos, they are always a welcome dish in most house holds. This dish packs a load of flavour, especially when you mix in all the taco toppings.
It’s an all in one quick meal, however if you have bigger appetites you can serve this taco pasta with a side salad.
A Mexican Italian Fusion
Ground beef tacos are the kind many of us grew up with and technically they are not authentic Mexican tacos. I had those for the first time in Tijuana back in the 1970s, but that’s a whole other story!
Ground beef seasoned with spices, pasta cooked just until al dente, and the two combined and topped with all your favourite taco toppers is always well received dish for hungry tummies.
Now that I’ve got your attention, check out our tips and tricks below!
- In a pinch you can use taco seasoning instead of all the seasonings listed in the recipe cooking your beef as you would for ground beef tacos.
- If you don’t have penne try rotini, scoobi doo, shells, fusili or other shorter pasta shapes.
- Use whole grain pasta for a healthier variation.
- Serve this family style allowing everyone to add their favourite toppings.
- If you like spice add hot pepper flakes to the ground beef mixture and or hot sauce on top.
Love Tacos, then definitely check out these recipes!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Pork Carnitas
- Taco Salad Bowls
- Salmon Tacos
- Lentil, Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tacos
- Tacos al Pastor
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1.5 cup beef stock or beer
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb penne 450-500 gr
Taco Pasta Toppers
- grated cheese, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, jalapeno peppers, olives, onions
- In a pan over medium high heat cook your onion in olive oil until slightly softened. Mix in garlic and cook for a minute ensuring it doesn't brown.
- Add your beef cooking until browned. Mix in chili powder, coriander, cumin and salt & pepper. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Then stir in stock & Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for about 5-15 minutes to allow flavours to blend.
- While meat is cooking, boil your water for the pasta. Cook until al dente, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Pour meat mixture, pasta and water into a large serving dish, mixing well.
- Serve family style with your favourite toppings.