When you love tacos as much as we do it’s nice to change things up once in awhile. A little pasta and taco flavours come together in this delightful this Taco Pasta.
Tacos come in all shapes and sizes these days and the sky is the limit for taco creations. I say as long as it tastes good you can Taco Bout It!
In a pinch we buy store bought taco seasoning, however we prefer to make our home variation. The spice flavours blend together perfectly and we try to make at least a double batch so we have it on hand for next time. As I mentioned store bought seasoning works fine in this recipe and is a quicker option if you do not have time to make your own seasoning.
Use whatever taco toppings (we call them fixin’s) you enjoy when eating tacos. For some it’s as simple as diced white onion and salsa. Since everyone likes their “own” things on their tacos we could never make them up with toppings already on. Instead we put out everyone’s favourites into bowls on the table and each person makes there own tacos. My daughter likes sour cream on her tacos and sure enough she likes it on her Taco Pasta as well. My husband is simply tomatoes and cheese. My son all about peppers, lettuce and cucumbers. We do not judge in this house!
- 1 lb penne whole grain or smart
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1.5 cup beef stock or beer
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- Cook your pasta. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta water.
- In a pan over medium high heat start cooking your onion until slightly softened. Add your minced garlic, let cook for a minute (do not brown)...then add your beef cooking until browned. Add in your chili powder, coriander, cumin and salt & pepper. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Then add in your stock & Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer for a few minutes and pour into a serving dish with your cooked penne. Add a little of the reserved pasta water, mixing well.
- At this point you can either sprinkle on top your Toppers and serve family style OR let each family member help themselves and assemble their own Taco Pasta.
Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Jalapeno peppers, peppers Ensure you cook your ground beef until it is brown to get some good colour and/or browning on the beef which in the end gives it more flavour.