Alberta has declared June to be pork month promoting Alberta Pork and we are celebrating by making Pork Schnitzel with Israeli Salad & Halloumi using pork from Sunterra Market’s own pork farms.
Sunterra Market is a grocery store offering everything you need to pull together a delicious meal. In the Sunterra Market meat department they offer several options for those who prefer to pick up something to eat and be on their way.
If you like to cook but are short on time, Sunterra offers pick up and cook at home meal solutions like their ready to go pork schnitzel.
If you love to cook you will find every thing you need to make a fabulous and easy meal at Sunterra Market like our Pork Souvlaki with Cucumber Pineapple Salsa and Vietnamese Pork Meatball Banh Mi recipes.
Need a meal idea? Browse the Sunterra Market website for inspiration. It’s as easy as locating and visiting the store closest to you, or doing your shopping online right on their website.
Earlier this year we made a chicken schnitzel recipe with an Israeli style salad. A quick protein and half your plate of vegetables is exactly how I like to eat, and this became my inspiration for making our Israeli Salad to accompany the pork schnitzel.
Our Israeli salad features all the traditional items like tomato, onion, cucumber and fresh herbs purchased from the market side of Sunterra. Plus we added grilled halloumi cheese.
You won’t find any bell peppers in this salad, we serve them in a bowl on the side. In this instance of an allergy or dislike of a particular ingredient, you can keep a bowl of chopped bell peppers on the table for those who like them in their salads.
- Chop your vegetables the night before to save time on preparations
- Local, fresh produce has the best flavour
- Know where your meat comes from and support local suppliers
- If you can’t find what you want in the meat department, ask the butcher as they are very helpful
We like to serve our meals family style on a platter with a sprinkle of chopped toasted pistachios adding a little extra crunch.
Sunterra Farm Facts:
- Sunterra Farms started in Acme in 1970 by Stan and Flo Price and their eldest son Dave.
- All three Sunterra companies are still owned and operated by the Price family.
Sunterra Market has seven locations in Calgary and two in Edmonton. Each location may offer a slightly different set up, but they all have the same great local products, good quality and awesome selection.
We are working in collaboration with Sunterra Market and they have provided the ingredients for this recipe. All opinions, views expressed and recipe development are, as always, my own.
- 4 pork schnitzels set aside
- 1 pkg Halloumi cheese sliced lengthwise into 4-5 slices
- 2 1/2 cups cucumber
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp mint chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- juice from one lemon
- cracked black pepper
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
- Brush the cheese with olive oil and place onto a medium hot grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until grill marks appear. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add cucumber, red onion, green onions, cherry tomatoes, parsley and mint to a bowl. In a separate cup whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil, lemon zest and juice. Pour over salad, add a good turn or pinch of freshly cracked black pepper and pinch of salt. Cut cheese slices into chunks and add to salad. Gently toss.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add cutlets to skillet; cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove cutlets to warm platter.
- With a slotted spoon add your salad to the platter. Sprinkle with pistachios and serve immediately.