I love quick and easy breakfasts. Oatmeal is a favourite go to of mine, especially camping. Since meeting my husband I’ve been introduced to Red River Cereal which I adore as well. My daughter asks for Cream of Wheat once a week. It’s nice to be able to change it up a bit and that’s what I did when this recipe was created.
Versatile like smoothies, you can add whatever toppings you like or have in your pantry. I used cranberries, raisins, apricots and almonds. This is a very filling breakfast for one but can easily be shared by two. Did you know quinoa is a great source of protein/iron?
This meal is Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox friendly. Your milk options are Almond Milk or unsweetened Coconut Milk. Sprinkle with almonds and fresh berries or the fruit allowed while on the D-Tox.
- 1 1/2 cup milk 1%, 2%, almond, soy, coconut
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tsp cardamom OR cinnamon don’t use both together
- 1/4 cup favourite toppings
- Pour your milk into a sauce pan and heat over medium high heating watching & stirring regularly so as not to burn the milk. Bring to a light boil and then turn heat down to a simmer. Add in your spice if using and then add your quinoa. Cover pot and simmer for 12 minutes or until milk has been absorbed by quinoa. Again watching so your milk does not boil over.
- At 12 minutes remove from heat, fluff and let sit covered for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Spoon cooked quinoa into a bowl and add your toppings.