Roasted Brussels Sprouts offer simple flavours, are easy to prepare, and make a great side to eat as is or with additional ingredients added. It’s time for brussels sprouts to shine and have their day!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Yes, they were on the table when we were kids, boiled until over done. No, we didn’t like them. Yes, we love them now!
If you are a child of boiled, boring brussels sprouts like I am, fear not. These sprouts will change your mind.
I started experimenting with these little cabbages when I lived in Vancouver. I was privy to trying them when they weren’t boiled until flavourless, but instead cooked with flavour, taste and texture. That is when my sprouts journey began.
How to Prepare Brussels Sprouts for roasting
Takes a little extra time when planning to roast them so you may want to set a few extra minutes aside.
- Take a slice off the bottom first. This will help outer leaves come off easier.
- Pull off any brown or bruised leaves.
- Rinse in a colander.
- Cut in half lengthwise or quarter if large.
Sprouts with Pistachios
Jazz up these sprouts and keep it vegan or vegetarian by tossing with chopped pistachios.
Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios and Bacon
Bacon lovers will love the addition of cooked bacon. Try using cooked proscuitto or pancetta in place of bacon. Or even beef bacon.
Equally delicious is to drizzle on a gremolata, pesto, pistou, balsamic or a pomegranate syrup drizzle before serving. Who knew there were so many ways to enjoy these miniature cabbages!
Now that we’ve got your interest, here’s a few things to consider.
- Try to buy sprouts that are relatively all the same size. This will ensure even cooking time. We aim for small to medium sized.
- If you buy large sprouts you may need to both half and quarter them.
- When roasting in the oven start off with all the cut sides facing down.
- If you are only able to find frozen brussels sprouts, once thawed let them sit on paper towels to drain for at least 15 minutes. Add an extra 15 minutes to your cooking time.
Recipes we love with brussels sprouts:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Candied Walnuts
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Sausage Soup
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Pancetta
- Salad in a Jar with Lentils, Chick Peas and Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts Brown Rice Bowl with Cilantro Lime Drizzle
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans and please comment below!
- 4 cups cleaned and halved fresh brussels sprouts
- 3-4 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled and rough chopped
- 3 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl toss brussels sprouts, oil, salt and pepper. Lay out on baking sheet with halves faced down.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes turning half way through until brown and tender.