Delicious as a main, lunch or side, this Roasted Chickpea and Asparagus Salad will soon become your new favourite summer salad.
Roasted chick peas are a versatile and healthy snack to have on hand if you are trying to eat healthier. When I am organized I roast a couple cans on the weekend, changing the spices with each batch offering a new flavour every week.
If two cans seems like a lot to roast, there are other ways to incorporate chickpeas into your diet. Try on top of soups, salads, curries – even stews. Any salad that calls for chick peas becomes a whole new salad when you add the roasted variation.
If you have never tried raw asparagus, you should. It offers up a fresh, earthy and clean taste making it one of our favourite snacks when it is in season. Raw asparagus that is bitter or sour is old and should be discarded, not eaten.
Combing these two ingredients with fresh herbs, spicy chili pepper and a salty, sharp cheese brings a unique and tasty salad perfect anytime asparagus is in season.
Another way to enjoy this salad – pile it on top of your grilled chicken breast or steak.
- 2 398ml can chickpeas (garbanzos) drained and roasted
- 6 thick asparagus spears raw, shaved
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 Thai chili pepper sliced thin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 1 wedge Manchego or parmesan cheese shaved pieces
- Add shaved asparagus, cilantro, mint, chili pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, plus a pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine. Serve family style or divide between serving plates. Top with roasted chickpeas and shaved cheese to serve.