Delicious as a main, lunch or side, this Roasted Chickpea and Asparagus Salad will soon become your new favourite summer salad.
Roasted Chickpea and Asparagus Salad
Roasted chick peas are a versatile and healthy snack to have on hand if you are trying to eat healthier. When I am organized I roast a couple cans on the weekend, changing the spices with each batch offering a new flavour every week.
This allows me to snack on them whenever I am hungry, or add them to dishes like salads, vegetarian wraps, stews, curries and in soups.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a type of legume rich in fibre and protein plus additional vitamins and minerals. They are a staple in many diets around the world with one of the most notable dishes they are used in being hummus.
For this recipe we use two cans of chickpeas. Roasting them before adding to a salad creates a whole new flavour experience while enjoying your salad.
Total game changer. If you have never tried raw asparagus, you should. It offers a fresh, earthy and clean taste making it one of our favourite snacks when it is in season.
Raw asparagus that tastes bitter or sour is old and should be discarded, not eaten.
Composing the Salad
Now you have your roasted chickpeas and shaved asparagus. It’s time to create the salad. The addition of fresh herbs, spicy chili pepper and a salty, sharp cheese marries all the flavours in the salad making it perfect anytime asparagus is in season.
Another way to enjoy this salad – pile it on top of your grilled chicken breast or steak, or stuff it into a pita or wrap. You can thank me later.
If you love salads, here’s a few more to try:
- Orange and Fennel Salad with Sicilian Olives
- Israeli Couscous with Butternut Squash and Cranberries
- Bok Choy Salad
- Cucumber and Mint Quinoa Salad
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 2 398ml can chickpeas (garbanzos) drained and roasted
- 6 thick asparagus spears raw, shaved
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 Thai chili pepper sliced thin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 1 wedge Manchego or parmesan cheese shaved pieces
- Add shaved asparagus, cilantro, mint, chili pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, plus a pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine. Serve family style or divide between serving plates. Top with roasted chickpeas and shaved cheese to serve.