Meals come together quickly when you use the broil feature in your oven to make these simple Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
These fajitas can be on the table in 30 minutes or less when you prep things in advance or get the gang to help with dinner preparation. Once dinner prep is done, it’s as simple as preheating your oven, tossing items onto your baking sheet and selecting broil. In about 12 minutes you are sitting down to eat dinner.
Serve with bowls of your favourite taco or fajita fillings like grated cheese, jalapenos, banana peppers, guacamole, sour cream even salsa.
We make up our own seasoning for the chicken however buy a pre-made taco or fajita seasoning to save time or if you don’t have all the spices available.
- Change up your onions by using white or yellow instead.
- Use whatever peppers you love.
- Cut everything the same size to ensure even cooking times.
- Warm flour tortillas before serving.
Warming Flour Tortillas
On the Stove: turn your burner to medium, toss one on, watch it, after a few seconds flip it with tongs and set onto a plate. Do this with all of them and keep them covered under a dish towel until ready to serve.
Microwave: Add a few tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second intervals until they are warm. Repeat in batches of until all your tortillas are warm keeping them under a dish towel until ready to serve.
Oven: In a 350F pre-heated oven, wrap tortillas in foil, place on rimmed baking sheet and put on lower rack in oven until warmed through (about 15-20 minutes) while your fajitas cook.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 large bell peppers sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion peeled and sliced in wedges or strips
- 3 chicken breasts sliced into smaller pieces
- cooking oil spray
- 12 flour tortillas small or large
- sour cream
- tex mex shredded cheese
- lime wedges
- chopped cilantro
- Preheat your oven to broil. Ensure one of your rack is in the top slot.
- Spray cooking oil on your sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add onions and peppers and toss until coated. Remove onions and peppers shaking off any excess oil and add to one side of sheet pan.
- Toss chicken in remaining spice and oil mixture mixing to combine flavours. Add to other side of sheet pan.
- Broil about 10-12 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. There will be liquid in the pan from the chicken.
- Serve immediately with warmed tortillas and whatever extras you enjoy.