Simple Herb Potato Salad is one of our summer time go to salads. It brings back memories of summer time fun, picnics in the park and barbecues in our back yard!
What type of potatoes
Potatoes that are firm and hold their shape when cooked will work best in this recipe. My preference is Yukon Gold but I’ve also used Red potatoes.
Potato Salad Ingredients
I change my ingredients every time I make a potato salad so essentially I probably have 100 variations of potato salad in my head! Here’s a range of ingredients you can use in this salad.
- Potatoes: As mentioned my preference is potatoes that hold up. Russets do not hold up well in salad so I opt for yukon gold or a red potato.
- Peels on or Peels off: Again it depends on the potato and the mood. Skins on baby potatoes like in this salad are left on. With larger potatoes we might peel them.
- Mayonnaise: I always add a little mayo and mix in Greek yogurt or sometimes sour cream. If you are a Miracle Whip fan like my husband is, feel free to mix some in for a sweeter taste.
- Vinegar: The vinegars I use depends on my mood that day. Champagne vinegar, white balsamic, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, even sherry vinegar are favourites here.
- Add Ins: chopped celery and onions (either red or scallions) are what my mom used in her salad plus chopped hard boiled eggs. Sometimes I toss in pickles, chopped olives, radishes even peppers. Cooked chopped bacon & pancetta are delicious too as is a variety of fresh herbs.
- Mustard: Dijon adds a nice zing, a local grainy mustard is another go to for me, but regular mustard is also works well.
- Seasonings: Fresh cracked black pepper and kosher or sea salt is all you need. Every once and a while I see my husband sneaking paprika to sprinkle on his as this is how he grew up!
The secret to a good potato salad
Make it in advance. This allows the ingredients to marry together providing more flavour when it’s time to serve.
Looking for more barbecue sides or salads? Some of our favourites include:
- Creamy Dijon dill Potato Salad
- Apple and Halloumi Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Greek Pasta Salad
- 30 baby potatoes or 4 cups baby potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- good pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion diced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Ensure water is covering potatoes by at least one inch.
- Boil 10-20 minutes or until tender. Test with a sharp knife, fork or skewer. Drain and set aside to cool. When cooled, cut in half.
- Mix mayonnaise through salt and pepper in a bowl. Gentley toss in cut potatoes until completley covered. Add celery, onion and all the herbs.
- Season again with salt and pepper as needed. Cover and refridgerate until ready to serve.