A Simple Tomato Soup uses ingredients from your pantry comes together quickly for a comforting meal.
How do you like your soup
This is a soup that can be served hot or as a cold tomato soup. It’s quite refreshing on a hot summer day and even better top it with a little basil pesto or cucumber salsa adding in texture and flavour.
We’ve also been known to add in cooked sausage crumbles or home cooked bacon bits for those who want to boost up the flavour even more.
Depending on where you are in the world, it’s possible you might now have access to fresh produce. Tomatoes are in season in the Fall and at their peak however if you can’t find any good ones, canned tomatoes are just as good. They are picked and canned when ripe and delicious locking in that great flavour.
Tomato Soup as kids consisted of canned soup and while I have nothing bad to say about canned soup, I will say fresh made soup is so much better.
We do love our tomato soup around here and some times serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, bread sticks, cheese toasts or cheese buns.
- Use 1 tsp. dried basil to replace fresh.
- If you can afford to buy San Marzano tomatoes, buy San Marzano tomatoes
- The parmesan rind is essential for adding umami flavour, however if you do not have any forget about it.
- If you live in a city check out your local Italian, Mediterranean or specialty store for parmesan rind.
- Always season in layers. Season when you add the tomatoes and season at the end as needed to taste.
Other soup recipes to try:
- Tomato Soup with Sausage
- Pizza Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Tamarind
- Carrot and Cumin Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cans 28oz whole tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 parmesan rind
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh basil cut thin
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, soften the onions in the oil. When they start to turn translucent, stir in your garlic cooking for another minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Let simmer minimum 30 minutes up to 60 minutes.
- Remove soup pot to cutting board. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with fresh basil and grilled cheese sandwiches.