We’ve had a cold snap here in Calgary and Pizza Soup has been requested. Growing up soups consisted of whatever Campbell’s soup was in the pantry. At this stage of my life I really enjoy a bowl of hot steaming soup on a cold day. I started experimenting more with soups in the 90’s, my bachelorette years, and this pizza soup came about after I met my husband. The kids love it and request it regularly.
One great thing about this soup is you can play with your ingredients. Try turkey pepperoni or if you like spicy, add in a spicy pepperoni. Change up your mushrooms…use a meatier portabello if you like the texture of this mushroom. With this soup I sometimes leave the peppers out due to my husbands dislike for them. Instead I chiffonade 1/2 cup of fresh spinach and add it in. You could further replace pepperoni with ham or salami. Don’t be afraid to play and change things up!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (or more)
- 1/2 cup pepper red, green, any, chopped
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup thinly sliced pepperoni I use sticks
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 -1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot heat your oil. Add onions, mushrooms and pepper. Stir and cook until soft.
- Pour in tomatoes breaking up with a spoon or your fingers. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to a simmer and add pepperoni, basil and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix and cook for 30 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese and enjoy.