If you have pizza lovers in your family you are going to want to add this Pizza Soup in to the weekly menu!
Loaded with tasty ingredients this soup comes together so quickly and effortlessly you’ll wonder why you haven’t made it before.
Tips for making Soup
Season. Season your vegetables when cooking If your broth is low in salt, you may need to season the soup as it cooks. Taste as you go so you can adjust your seasonings to suit your tastes and diet.
Herbs. Herbs will brighten any soup. When using dried, lightly crush them in the palm of your hand to release some of the flavours. If using fresh like rosemary or thyme, knock them a few times on a board with the back of a knife and leave them on the stem. This will make it easier to fish them out when the soup is done. More delicate fresh herbs should be added just before the soup is done or sprinkled on top as a garnish.
Olive Oil. Many seasoned chefs will add butter to finish a soup. I like to drizzle olive oil on top of my soups when serving for a luxurious and flavourful finish.
Simmer. Once the soup has come to a boil, drop down to a simmer and leave it there. Like a good chili or stew, simmering is the key to marrying the flavours and boiling for to long could overcook certain items.
Parmesan Rind. If you buy wedges of parmesan save and freeze the rinds. Add to soups for an added flavour boost. If you don’t have any, check your local Italian store or Mediterranean store as they may have some you can buy.
- Have all your ingredients chopped and ready to go.
- Use pepperoni sticks or deli pepperoni cut into pieces.
- A sprinkle of fresh basil on top goes a long way.
- Used diced tomatoes to replace whole tomatoes.
- Try turkey pepperoni or a spicy pepperoni to change things up.
- A variety of mushrooms will work as long as they hold up to being in a soup.
- Fresh chopped spinach is also good in this soup.
Other soups we love:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (or more)
- 1/2 cup pepper red, green, any, chopped
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup thinly sliced pepperoni I use sticks
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 -1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot heat your oil. Add onions, mushrooms and pepper. Stir and cook until soft.
- Pour in tomatoes breaking up with a spoon or your fingers. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to a simmer and add pepperoni, basil and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix and cook for 30 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese and enjoy.