Hot steaming soup on a cold day is comfort food at its best. Our Thai Turkey Coconut Soup is made from scratch using leftover roast turkey.
For this soup we keep the broth on the mild side however allow everyone to amp up the spice level by adding red hot Thai chili peppers served on the side!
We’ve loaded this soup with noodles and leftover roast turkey keeping the flavours simple yet delicious. It might not be considered an authentic Thai dish, however it’s our rendition of what we have in restaurants made using local Thai ingredients.
We’ve kept the recipe simple using store bought Thai green curry paste. This also makes the dish quick and easy to assemble.
If you’ve made turkey stock from your carcass, use it! Otherwise chicken stock is a great substitute. Cooked turkey needs simply to be reheated in the hot steaming soup.
I always forget the brand of noodles I use and/or wonder in a recipe exactly what type of noodles are required. For this recipe I’ve taken a photo of the noodles we used to help all of us!
Thai Turkey Coconut Soup Toppings
If you follow our blog and our recipes you know that we do like using fresh toppers on a variety of dishes!
For this soup here are some ideas for toppings:
- Fresh cilantro – rough chop the leaves and stems and sprinkle on top. Use fresh flat leaf parsley or Thai basil instead if you do not like cilantro.
- Red Thai Chili Pepper – these can be spicy so we suggest you thinly slice up a couple and let people add as many or few as they want.
- Scallions or green onion – thinly sliced they add a little crunch to the soup
- Fresh lime – a squeeze of fresh lime brightens up any soup just before serving
- Bean sprouts – the kids love bean sprouts and would prefer to eat them raw, however they are delicious in this soup
Leftover Turkey Recipes
Looking for more ways to use leftover roast turkey, here are some popular recipes to try.
We love to eat soup during the colder months. It’s easy, quick and a relatively cheap meal.
What’s your favourite recipe for leftover turkey?!
- 1 tbsp green curry paste
- 1 stalk lemon grass cut into chunks
- zest of one lime
- juice of two limes
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 3 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cups leftover roast turkey
- fresh cilantro rough chopped
- 1/2 454 g pkg rice vermicelli noodles medium
- fresh black pepper
- sea salt
- In a large pot over medium high heat add paste, lemon grass, zest, juice, ginger and stock. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in fish sauce and sugar. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, turkey, noodles and 1 tbsp cilantro. Turn heat off and let sit for 5-10 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- Remove chunks of lemon grass. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with garnishes.