Turn leftovers from your holiday turkey dinner into this Leftover Turkey Quinoa Salad!
If you are like me and are always looking for new ideas to use up leftovers, especially turkey or chicken, this is the perfect salad to help with those leftovers!
When you cook your big turkey meal and are making brussels sprouts, ensure you put a few fresh sprouts to the side for this dish. Save some squash and cube it or pick up a small butternut squash and roast it.
Making the Salad
Plan ahead for this salad. I like to make the quinoa the night before and let it fluff and cool in the fridge. That way I can add whatever I want to 1-2 cups of quinoa plus a quick dressing and have a salad ready to go.
I have found there is so much flavour in this dish you really do not need an actual vinaigrette. Extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice make it sparkle!
Slice the sprouts thin, they will give you a little crunch in your salad.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water the night before. You will end up with 4-5 cups of quinoa.
- If using fresh squash, dice it, mix with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in 350F oven until soft.
- You can plump your dried cranberries in water or orange juice for 15 minutes to take the edge off.
- Swap pecans for pine nuts, walnuts or almonds.
- Make this vegetarian or vegan by omitting the turkey and adding more sprouts and squash.
- Some people insist on washing the quinoa before cooking. I never do and it’s always tasted great.
- Spices I use are simple flavours like poultry seasoning, spices with lemon zest, thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
Looking for other ways to use up leftover chicken or turkey? Here’s some of our favourite recipes!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa cooled
- 1 cup cooked turkey chopped
- 1-2 tsp spices
- 4 fresh brussels sprouts cleaned, halved & sliced thin
- 1 cup roasted squash cubed
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 2-3 tbsp toasted pecans rough chop
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pour 1 tsp of olive oil into a saucepan. Over medium heat add in chopped turkey and a sprinkle of your favourite spices. Saute until turkey & spices have become happy and warmed through (a few minutes).
- Put your quinoa and in a large bowl.
- Add turkey, brussels sprouts, squash, green onion, dried cranberries, parsley, salt & pepper, a drizzle of olive oil. Gentley stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and if required add another pinch salt & pepper.
- To serve sprinkle with toasted pecans, another drizzle of olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice.