I first came across this recipe years ago, after watching Chef Michael Smith make them on one of his shows…maybe Chef at Home? They were so easy to make, bake a potato, smash them, bake again. The recipe stuck and I started making them at least a couple times a year.
These potatoes are so versatile they go with anything. You can top each one with a small, dressed salad. I love them topped with guacamole or salsa. Eat as a side with a steak or any kind of meat. Sprinkle bacon on top. Drop on some grilled or baked veggies.
Oh La La delicious and they were the perfect side to our Steak with Chimichurri Sauce the other night.
Here’s how I did it.
- 6 potatoes baked and slightly cooled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fennel seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment. Place potatoes on baking sheet.
- Using a heavy bottomed pan or cup push down on each potato until it has been smashed down evenly.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt, pepper and fennel seeds on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until potatoes have crisped up.