Crispy, crunchy lettuce, salty bacon and freshly diced tomatoes come together to create this memorable and tasty BLT Wedge Salad!
BLT Wedge Salad
As a youngish child we always had iceberg lettuce in the refrigerator since it was cheap, and one of my guilty pleasures to cut off a chunk of lettuce and pour white distilled vinegar all over it with a little pinch of salt on top. Don’t judge, I was a kid testing out my palate and always have been drawn to vinegar.
Iceberg lettuce is good to eat on your own, chopped for a simple salad or combined with other green lettuces for a super salad. We also like this lettuce in wraps, burgers and sandwiches.
Toss that salad, maybe
In a world full of radicchio, kale and arugula, iceberg in a wedge salad is like the steak of salads. It can be big, or small. You can dress it up, dress it down, or stick with the traditional classic. The wedge can be eaten as is, or once served, cut into smaller pieces and tossed right on your plate with all the other ingredients, giving those who prefer “tossed” salads, well, their tossed salad.
Our wedge salad today takes a look at ingredients we had kicking around. Leftover bacon, always tomatoes, home made croutons and hard boiled eggs. We used up basil and buttermilk to make a basil infused buttermilk dressing with a little bit of mayonnaise added since all BLT’s have mayo don’t they? The hard boiled egg is our ode to the BLT sandwich.
- If you do not have time to make your own salad dressing, buy one. Your favourite, any will do. Really.
- Pour a little dressing on and serve the rest on the side. Or just serve it on the side and use as much or less as you and/or your guests prefer.
- Wrap leftover iceberg lettuce in plastic wrap with a tiny splash of water and refrigerate until ready to use again.
Other wedge recipes to love:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans
- 1 piece of wedge from 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 2 pieces of cooked bacon cut in half to equal 4 pieces
- 2 tbsp diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup croutons
- 1 tsp parmesan cheese
- 1 hard boiled egg sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Place wedge on a plate.
- Sprinkle on toppings bacon through parmesan cheese.
- Gently place hard boiled eggs on plate.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together 3 tbsp buttermilk, 2 tbsp mayo, 2 tsp white vinegar, 1/4 cup fresh basil, 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon dressing over your wedge and serve.