Grilled summer corn, fresh blueberries, and halloumi cheese all come together to create this Blueberry & Halloumi Quinoa Salad with Charred Corn. A flavourful salad you will want to bring to your next potluck!
When my parents bought property and built a house, they planted fruit trees, berry bushes, constructed a greenhouse and planted rows and rows of potatoes, beans, corn and any vegetable they could fit in and on their 1/4 acre piece of land. If they could grow it in Northern British Columbia they would, or they would sure try.
Since most of this happened in my teen years I was only able to experience a small amount of the bounty since I left home as soon as I graduated, around the age of 17. I moved home for the summer before I departed for Vancouver to try and save a little extra money for University.
Mom would can a lot of the berries and then she got into making home made wine with her large haul of fruit. She was gifted when it came to wine making, quite possibly learned from some of her Portuguese friends and every so often would some to me in Vancouver. Blueberries was one of those berries she used creatively therefore it’s not surprising I like to get creative with berries and fruit when they are in season.
Quinoa is a grain we like to eat and creating a new quinoa salad to love is almost a part time hobby here. If you are looking to add more quinoa into your diet check out some of our other recipes like the Moroccan Quinoa Salad, Quinoa Burgers or Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
This recipe came to be one summer following the arrival of BC blueberries and our love for quinoa. Charring the corn and the orange for the dressing adds a smokey touch. It’s a good salad to take camping or to potlucks, just double the batch if needed. People loved it during our camping potlucks.
- 1 cup quinoa cooked and cooled
- 2 ears of corn husked
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 package halloumi cheese sliced thick and grilled
- 1/3 cup orange juice or one large orange cut in half and charred on grill
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh mint sliced thin
- Add quinoa to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Rub corn with 1 tablespoon oil and a pinch both of salt and pepper. Grill, turning frequently, until corn is charred and heated through, 10-12 minutes. Remove from grill to cool. When cool enough to handle cut kernels from cobs and transfer to bowl with quinoa.
- Cut your grilled halloumi cheese into chunks, toss into bowl.
- Add blueberries and lightly stir.
- Whisk together orange juice, rice wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa mixture and lightly toss.
- Sprinkle on the fresh mint and serve.