A dish that lies deep in my roots as pressure cooked roasts were our Sunday suppers growing up. In this recipe we show you how to make Simple Braised Pork using a roasting pan, some spices, your favourite barbecue sauce and your oven.
What Spices to use
Your favourite ones of course! Sometimes we like to buy a spice blend from our favourite spice store: The Silk Road Spice Merchant.
Other times we create our own spice rub using whatever spices we can find in our pantry. This is also a good way to use up older spices and make room for fresh, new ones.
In the cold winter months, nothing beats the smell of simmering food in the oven. Think Osso bucco, beef bourguignon, ribs, stew, even chili.
What to serve with Braised Pork
We like a nice summer side salad like a coleslaw which some people like to put right on the pork. I admittedly do that sometimes too.
I love pickles on my bun but not every one does. Here I’ve quick pickled radishes and jalapenos. I’ve even tried charred shishito peppers as shown in the photos but the jury is still out on that one!
- If you can spice your roast the night before and let marinate over night.
- Use your favourite store bought barbecue sauce to save time.
- This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker.
- Always let the meat rest before shredding or devouring.
- Use fresh buns.
Recipes you may be interested in
- Bakers Spice Rub
- Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork
- Lemony Coleslaw
- Salsa Baked Beans
If you love this recipe, or have some suggestions, please leave a comment!
- 1/2 cup spice rub
- 1 1/2 lb pork shoulder picnic roast
- 2 cups of your favourite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Take spice mixture and rub it all over your pork roast, massaging a little to get the spices into all cracks & crevices
- Put in a roasting pan and cover with tin foil.
- Bake in oven until meat is tender and falling off the bone. This could take 3-5 hours depending on the actual size of the roast and your oven (so check occasionally)
- Remove tin foil. Shred meat with two forks and place in a dish. Mix in the barbecue sauce or serve the sauce on the side.