In recent years I have admittedly tasted more pulled pork then in my entire life combined. I’m hooked and left wondering why it took so long to fall in love with braised and/or pulled pork! Truth be known my mom was a terrible cook when I was child. She would pressure cook the shit out of roasts (beef and pork) until they were so dry that even HP Sauce didn’t help. The fact I will even eat a roast these days shows well adulting lol.
It was a cold day in Calgary when I made this pulled pork, and a good reason to turn on the oven to cook the roast. Using one of our own spice rub concoctions, Bakers Spice Rub, I opted to create a home made BBQ Sauce to accompany it. Since we have different likes and dislikes in our family I tend to separate home made barbecue sauces into bowls and individualize the sauces with hot sauce, whiskey, root beer, all the things. While the kids are still developing their palates and changing their tastes weekly, it just works.
I further served the adults portion of the pulled pork with my Lemony Coleslaw. The final verdict was simply awesomeness and four thumbs up.
- 1/2 cup spice rub
- 1 5 lb pork shoulder picnic roast
- 2 cups of your favourite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Take spice mixture and rub it all over your pork roast, massaging a little to get the spices into all cracks & crevices
- Put in a roasting pan and cover with tin foil.
- Bake in oven until meat is tender and falling off the bone. This could take 3-5 hours depending on the actual size of the roast and your oven (so check occasionally)
- Remove tin foil. Shred meat with two forks and place in a dish. You can either combine pork with half of sauce or serve the sauce on the side.