Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese is an excellent way to use up leftover pulled pork.
In our cook it once, eat it 2-3 times series, we have our 3rd meal using the Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork we cooked earlier this week. Our first meal using the pulled pork, was pulled pork on buns with fresh toppers. We didn’t add a heavy barbecue sauce to it so as to keep the flavours simple. We put barbecue sauce on the table for those who wanted it.
Second night we enjoyed Pork Carnitas with a variety of fresh add on’s including salsa and sour cream. We even had enough pork to send everyone to school with sandwiches and wraps that day. For our last meal using up the pulled pork from day one, we made pulled pork mac and cheese. Yum right? Cooking once and extending it into a couple of meals especially when you are busy, is a great way to get through a couple of days worth of dinners.
For this recipe I opted to crisp the pork. It went from refrigerator to fry pan to warm it up, to a foil lined baking pan. A drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper before broiling it for 5ish minutes watching it closely. You do not have to do this step but I like the change in texture and added bite. My kids were so excited about this dish it was wonderful!
What’s your favourite mac and cheese?!
Here’s how we did it.
- 4 cups cooked macaroni
- 2 cups pulled pork
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 2 cups old cheddar
- 2 cups gouda
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large pot on low heat melt butter. Add flour and stir for 2-3 minutes to make your roux.
- Whisk in your milk and turn up your heat. Continue to whisk as the liquid thickens slightly.
- Add salt, pepper and old bay.
- Drop the cheese into the pot in handfuls, stirring after each addition until all cheese has been used and melted in.
- Taste for seasoning and sprinkle in more salt and pepper if needed.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole with pam
- Add macaroni, pulled pork and pour in cheese sauce. Mix until all combined.
- Top with extra grated cheddar cheese or bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.