Gremolata is an Italian herb condiment offering a zesty, flavourful boost typically made using three ingredients. We’ve taken the classic version adding carrot tops instead of parsley to create this Carrot Top Germolata putting a tasty spin on a classic.
Nothing quite tastes better than vegetables you’ve grown in your own garden. I’ve always disliked discarding carrot tops into the compost bit and finally started playing with them to see what I could create. Carrot Top pesto is a popular everyone is currently making, so I came up with a simple gremolata and it’s quite delicious!
Traditional Italian Gremolata is made with lemon zest, fresh garlic and parsley served on a luscious osso bucco adding a pop of both flavour and colour. You will find variations all over the web as nuts, cheese, herbs are a few ingredients people like to add to change up the taste. Even a flavoured olive oil is a delicious alternative.
You’ve made your carrot top gremolata and are wondering what to do with it?!
Mix in some toasted, chopped nuts and drizzle on a pureed soup or bisque. It’s excellent on roasted vegetables including spaghetti squash, cooked eggs or quiche, any roasted meat, even a delicious stew. Try it on your homemade pizza or tacos. Yum right?
- Add lime, grapefruit or orange zest to change up the citrus effect.
- Add in hot pepper flakes for some spice.
- Add some nuts.
- Delicious on anything roasted including vegetables and a simple tasting casserole.
- Raw garlic offers a strong bite so I only use one clove when making gremolata. Use more if you love garlic
Other notable recipes to try or drizzle gremolata on:
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Stew
- Carrot and Cumin Soup
- Roasted Fennel and Broccoli Soup
- Cheesy Basil Flatbread
- Honey Roasted Carrots
Love a good green sauce?! Share your favourite in the comments below!