Marinating the chicken before tenderizes it nicely adding extra flavour to the meat. Greek Chicken Kabobs are a simple, tasty meal we like to serve with extra veggies and feta mint dip!
Greek Chicken Kabobs
These Greek Chicken Kabobs and accompanying vegetables are marinated in a luscious dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper. That’s it! No need for a million ingredients in the marinade, this simple combination provides all the essence needed to make these kabobs shine!
Serve with some additional fresh veg like lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes, warmed pita, olives and our Feta Mint Dip for a delicious any time meal.
Chicken Kabob Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts: Are perfect for skewers. If you use chicken thighs you will cook a little less as they are smaller and thinner.
Zucchini: Buy as fresh as you can find with no bruises or indents. Slice them think for grilling.
Red Onion: Also known as a purple or Spanish onion, keep them chunky for easier sliding onto the skewers.
Bell Pepper: What ever colour or flavour you want. The red, yellow or orange are by far the brightest on these kabobs.
Olive Oil: Buy a good brand, don’t cheap out here.
Oregano: Herbs can be dried or fresh.
Red Wine Vinegar: It’s tangy and I love it. Provides the acid this marinade needs. If you are not a fan substitute red for white wine vinegar.
Salt and Pepper: Sea salt, course salt and fresh black pepper is what we recommend.
Skewers: We go back and forth between metal and bamboo. If using bamboo ensure they have had time to soak in water. Sometimes they still burn on us but no bigs!
What to serve with these kabobs
So this really depends on how you want to eat them and are you following any kind of diet plan.
The chicken kabobs are fabulous without pita bread. Serve them with your favourite side salad or roasted vegetable dish or in lettuce like a wrap.
If bread isn’t an issue than serve them in naan bread, pita, or even tortillas.
Rice or roasted potatoes are delish.
Pasta like a salad or orzo.
Chips, because why not?!
- Substitute in eggplant, white onion or any summer squash to replace zucchini, red onion & peppers. Even mushrooms!
- Fresh or dried oregano works in the marinade.
- If able let marinate a little longer for additional flavour.
- Can also serve with tzatziki or hummus.
- Use naan bread in place of pita.
- Use chicken breasts or boneless thighs in this recipe.
- We make them big as we have big eaters. You can thread them onto smaller skewers for smaller appetites or to go farther.
Grilling or barbecuing is one of our favourite things to do any time of the year. Unless of course we have dipped down to minus 20 F. and the BBQ says “nope”, not today!
The key to a tasty meal is marinating your protein and vegetables. Here’s a few of our favourite grilling recipes.
More Barbecue Lovers Recipes
- Grilled Corn Ribs
- Grilled Skewered Olives
- Crispy Molasses Coleslaw
- Hoisin Ginger Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Grilled Coconut Chicken Thighs
- Beef Keftas
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 zucchini halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pepper red, yellow, orange cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- bamboo skewers soaked in water
- olive oil
- Add chicken to a ziplock bag. Pour in olive oil, 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar, oregano and salt & pepper.
- Add vegetables to the bag and squishy to blend all flavours.
- Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes on counter or longer in the refrigerator.
- Preheat your grill to medium high and start threading your skewers alternating veg/chicken. Grill skewers turning occasionally until chicken is browned and cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Serve immediately.