Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strudels are made with cooked ham, grated old cheddar cheese and scrambled eggs all rolled in phyllo pastry, topped with parmesan and baked until golden brown!
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strudels
When I was a kid my mom, who is French, German and Romanian, used to make apple strudel all the time. She would occasionally branch out and make plum and pear strudel but apple was always our favourite.
We used to eat strudel for breakfast, I mean why not?
So taking the basic concept of strudel and stuffing it with savoury ingredients like ham, eggs and cheese seemed like a natural progression. Essentially you can stuff almost anything, not to liquidy into phyllo pastry making it the perfect vessel for a tasty bite.
What is Filo or Phyllo Pastry?
Filo Pastry is paper-thin sheets of pastry dough used to make flaky, buttery desserts both sweet and savoury. It is very common in European baking and includes notable dishes like spanakopita, baklava, tarts, strudels, borek and more.
Using filo can be a little bit intimidating as it’s very delicate. You join layers together while working with it using melted butter or oil.
Things to know when working with Filo
If you are using filo pastry for the first time, it’s good to know a few things about the dough before you begin.
- Defrost completely and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Small cracks or rips in the filo are normal. They will be fused together with the butter or oil.
- Have all ingredients prepped and ready to go when starting to work with the filo.
- Filo pastry dries out quickly. While working, keep the rest covered under a damp dish towel.
- Use a pastry brush when brushing on butter or oil.
I have worked with filo a lot and sum it up as a love hate relationship!
I love to eat anything made with filo however, I have had challenges working with it so here’s a few tips I’ve learned along the way.
- Make sure it’s fresh. Frozen filo left in the freezer too long will not work well.
- Follow all package instructions and defrost completely. Trust me here you can’t rush the process.
- I like to usealways use melted butter. Make sure it is ready to go when you start working with the filo pastry.
- Use Aleppo pepper to replace chili flakes.
- If your strudels burst while baking, don’t worry. I’ve seen this happen on TV to well known celebrity chefs! It will still taste amazing.
Love breakfast as much as we do?! Check out these other recipes!
- Chorizo Leek Frittata
- Hot Chocolate Waffles
- Baked Apple Pancake
- Roasted Garlic and Sausage Casserole
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 3 tbsp butter, separated
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp green onions, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- hot chili flakes, optional
- flaked sea salt for sprinkling on top
- In saucepan melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in warm milk blending well and constantly stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper and add cheese one handful at a time mixing until cheese is melted. Set aside off the heat.
Ham and Eggs
- In a frypan add remaining 1 tbsp butter. Drop in ham, eggs, green onions, thyme and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Scramble it all together for about 3 minutes until eggs are cooked & moist. Stir in fresh parsley and mix into your cheese sauce. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Please 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface (always keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp tea towel to prevent drying out). Brush lightly with butter. Fold in half lengthwise, brushing lightly again with butter.
- Spoon approximately 1/3 cup of the egg mixture along 1 narrow end of phyllo, leaving 1 inch border. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Fold sides over to enclose filling, roll up.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet (or foil lined). Brush top with butter. Sprinkle with more parmesan, hot chili flakes and flaked sea salt.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve immediately with fresh fruit.