Add this Instant Pot Hamburger Soup to your weekly rotation of favourite soup recipes! Hearty and flavourful it’s sure to become a family favourite!
A recent gift from my Father-In-Law, our Instant Pot is the newest appliance to join the ranks of appliances in the house. A huge fan of his own IP, he offers several tips, tricks and recipes offering all kinds of inspiration.
For this recipe, we took our tried and true Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup recipe, changed it up a bit and turned it into this Instant Pot Hamburger Soup recipe.
Receiving an Instant Pot for Christmas had me intrigued and started my mind wandering about what I could actually make in one. I have an Instant Pot Pinterest Board with all kinds of great recipes to try.
This tasty soup features ground beef, bacon, carrots, celery and shallots all combined together in a savoury tomato broth. Bacon was added to the soup base for more flavour but could also be cooked, crumbled and added on top as a garnish.
- Cook your pasta in a separate pot and add to soup bowls. This prevents the pasta from absorbing all the liquid if you have leftovers.
- Have all your ingredients chopped and ready to go.
- Parmesan rind adds extra flavour and can be purchased at your local Italian Store if you do not have any on hand.
Love soup as much as we do?! Check out some of our other popular soup recipes!
- 2 pieces of bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 shallots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 tsp beef OXO bullion
- 1 leftover parmesan rind
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup small pasta shells or macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting, medium temperature.
- When the pot setting reads hot add the bacon and ground beef.
- Once the beef is no longer pink add the shallots, celery, carrots and turn the setting to high to get some brown happening on the beef. This will happen quickly.
- Stir in oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper cooking another 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime mix beef OXO with beef stock.
- Hit cancel, then pour in beef stock, parmesan rind, tomatoes and worcestershire sauce. If sticking occurs de-glaze with broth and stir breaking up any bits on bottom.
- Cover pot with lid, turn vent to sealing position. Select pressure cook for 7 minutes.
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then count down and cook.
- When cooking is complete, allow an undisturbed 15 minute natural release.
- Start cooking your pasta. Drain and set aside.
- After 15 minutes carefully, in short bursts at first, release remaining steam in your Instant Pot manually by turning the steam release knob to the venting position. After a few bursts you can leave it release the remaining pressure.
- When pin drops remove lid.
- Fish out the parmesan rind and bay leaves.
- Stir and taste adjusting salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon into bowls or mugs, top with fresh parsley and ground parmigiano reggiano. Serve.