Moo Shu Pork in Wraps is a dish from Northern China that can be served with rice or as we like it – in wraps making it another quick, easy and flavourful meal!
What is Moo Shu Pork?
Moo Shu Pork typically consists of green onions, mushrooms, and scrambled eggs rolled into small, thin pancakes. Or do it up like we do and serve it over rice, thin noodles or in wraps cooked with napa cabbage!
This recipe comes together quickly as long as you have all your ingredients prepped.
Serve this dish with Hoisin sauce (a Chinese BBQ sauce) or even plum sauce but taste the Hoisin sauce first! Our Vietnamese student didn’t taste it before adding and found the Hoisin really really sweet. We do not find it that sweet but her palate is quite interesting and intrigues me.
Flour tortillas are the wrap of choice for us instead of the traditional pancakes or crepes. I use both whole wheat wraps and plain white. Rice paper with vermicelli noodles would be equally delicious.
- Prep all your ingredients in advance so they are ready when you start to stir fry.
- Sprinkle the cooked egg on top just before serving so it doesn’t soak up the sauce and you can still taste the egg.
- If you do not eat pork, substitute chicken making it Moo Shu Chicken!
- Avoiding carbs? Go crazy and serve it in lettuce wraps!
- To kick it up a notch I love to add some sriracha sauce. I will dish out half for the kids and toss a few good drops of hot sauce into whats left, for the adults. Or who am I kidding, just drizzler the sauce all over the moo shu pork.
Love pork? Here are some of our most popular pork recipes!
Share in the comments your favourite dish using pork!
- 2-3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 pork tenderloin trimmed of fat, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1-2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lb mushrooms we used button, but any will work, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled & minced
- 1/2 head napa cabbage shredded
- 5 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup soya sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- olive oil or canola oil
- salt & pepper
- flour tortillas/wraps small size
- Hoisin sauce
- cooked white rice optional
- In a nonstick pan on medium, heat a little oil. Add your eggs and without stirring cook until set. Transfer to cutting board, let cool off and then roll into log and slice into thin strips. Set aside.
- Place your pork strips into a bowl, season with salt, pepper and add your cornstarch, mixing well. In a clean skillet add a little more oil. Add your pork and saute until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- If you need it add another drop of oil and pour in your mushrooms and ginger. Once the mushrooms have started to brown season with salt & pepper. Add your cabbage (set aside about 1/2 cup to sprinke on top), green onions, soy sauce, vinegar and pork. Cook, stirring occasionally, a few more minutes or until your cabbage is wilted slightly and pork cooked through. Remove from heat and sprinkle on your egg slices.
- Warm your tortillas in the oven or in the microwave for about 5-10 minutes.
- To assemble put some Hoisin sauce on the tortilla, add some cooked rice if you have some and a good spoonful of the moo shu pork filling. Roll up and enjoy.